A new study has uncovered the exciting potential of Phovia, the innovative fluorescent light energy (FLE) therapy system from Vetoquinol, to enhance the quality of life of dogs with skin conditions.1 As well as having a positive impact on the wellbeing of affected pets, the study also showed that FLE can help to reduce the burden on owners who might otherwise be tasked with treatment regimes, including topical therapies and prolonged courses of antibiotics, that they find challenging to administer.
FLE has previously been shown to support and accelerate natural skin healing, but this latest research shows that the benefits go beyond improvement in clinical signs. The study looked at dogs with a diverse range of skin conditions, including pyotraumatic dermatitis, wounds, deep pyoderma, interdigital furunculosis and perianal fistulae. A resounding 92 percent of owners attested to their pet’s enhanced quality of life, with 74 percent of dogs displaying at least a 50 percent improvement in behaviour, mood, sleep and playing activities. Moreover, successful healing of the skin condition was reported in an impressive 86 percent of cases, with the remaining 14 percent showing partial improvement.
The study also reported a 46 percent reduction in caregiver burden. According to Felicity Caddick, Technical Services Manager at Vetoquinol, using FLE just once a week can lighten the load that owners feel when caring for an unwell pet. “Managing skin conditions often requires the long-term use of shampoos or topical therapies. Many owners find this aspect of pet ownership challenging, especially with larger dogs, or less cooperative animals. FLE can reduce or in some cases eliminate the need for topical therapies at home, not only simplifying the treatment process but also enhancing convenience and compliance. Sharing responsibility for administering ongoing treatment with their vet practice also removes some of the worry associated with their pet’s health.”
Phovia, launched in the UK by Vetoquinol in 2022, is a two-part FLE system consisting of a chromophore gel that is applied to the affected skin and a blue light LED lamp. When used together they produce light of varying wavelengths that penetrates the skin to different depths, helping to control bacteria and reduce inflammation on the surface of the skin and stimulating regeneration in the epidermal and dermal layers. The unit is portable, and applications take only four minutes once a week. After diagnosis and subsequent recommendation by a veterinary surgeon, any trained member of the clinical team can use Phovia, helping to manage workloads in busy practices.
Beyond its benefits to pets and their owners, Phovia offers a potentially drug-free management option for skin disorders that aligns with the principles of antibiotic stewardship. By incorporating Phovia into their dermatology toolbox, veterinary surgeons can expand their range of effective solutions for managing skin disease and wounds, while also contributing to efforts to reduce antibiotic usage and promote a more sustainable, One Health approach to veterinary medicine.
Press contact: Katy Ellison, email@example.com, Tel 07596 217372.
1. Mosca, M., Briand, A., Carrasco, I., Luciani, L. and Fantini, O. (2023) Impact of fluorescent light energy on the quality of life of dogs with dermatologic disease and their owners. Open Journal of Veterinary Medicine, 13, 122-135. doi: 10.4236/ojvm.2023.137011
Vetoquinol is the ninth largest veterinary pharmaceutical company in the world and the fourth largest dedicated to animal health, remaining an independent, family-owned business. Vetoquinol has 100 distributors and direct presence in 24 countries in Europe, the Americas and Asia-Pacific, with a worldwide network of 2,500 employees.
The Vetoquinol Group combines sustainability, growth and independence in an increasingly competitive world market. Committed to the protection and well-being of both animals and people, Vetoquinol creates, develops and sells veterinary medicines and non-medical products all over the world. The company is focussed on innovation in the fields of companion animal parasitology, dermatology and mobility.